GENIUS...OR SIMPLETON? YOU DECIDE

Posted by Posted by Dark Beige On 21:35



This is Gazza's poem about Sir Bobby Robson, RIP

When I was 12 I met a man called Bobby,

It was in Ipswich in a lobby,

At first I seen him he just smiled with such a glee,

I knew he was the man for me,

He was a great man,

Even better than Peter Pan,

He looked after me for so many years,

He was like a tree with the fruit of the pears,

I know he's above,

And I'll always be his son like the feathers of a dove,

He has now passed away,

But every night I say a little pray,

For the great man Sir Bobby he will be missed,

I've kept okay and hope not to get pissed,

I will never forget you for as long as I live,

You gave me a chance,

I started to bounce,

There are no rules for loving and sharing,

But hearts beat faster when someone is caring.


Love Gazza


Actually, I'll decide...simpleton.

More on this and excerpts from Gazza's autobiography in the next Dark Beige Radio podcast, coming soon.


I'm reading: GENIUS...OR SIMPLETON? YOU DECIDETWEET THIS!

Bookmark and Share

1 Comment

  1. Binky Said,

    I think you're judging him a bit to quickly. Gazza uses some fairly sophisticated techniques:

    Third line's iambic hexameter which he follows in the fourth with iambic tetrameter. Not to leave it there, he masterfully crowns those glorious three lines with 'He was a great man': an amphibrach followed by a spondee.

    You're also missing the brilliant 'And I'll always be his son like the feathers of a dove', which the more you read, the more enigmatic it becomes because of the self-contained half rhyme and the abstract simile.

    Gazza is the fucking king bastard of poetry in my book.

    Posted on 19 August 2009 at 17:28

     

Post a Comment